Is phototherapy a common treatment for pityriasis rosea?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Phototherapy can take the form of exposing the skin to sunlight or to an ultraviolet B light. Either one can help alleviate the symptoms of pityriasis rosea. It reduces itching and heals the rash faster. The ultraviolet B light (or UVB) exposure is done at the doctor's office. If you would like to try natural sunlight, you should consult your doctor first. Both types of phototherapy may cause the spots of the rash to darken and remain visible after the rash is gone.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What makes the skin on my hand get hot, thicken and peel every few months?
What makes the skin on my hand get hot, thicken and peel every few months? Many factors can make the...
What happens during my first skin exam?
In the examining room, you will be asked to take all your clothes off and put on a gown that is open...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more.  Your skin—the body’s largest organ—acts as a barrier to the environ...
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?