Do black women tend to have dry skin more than women of other races?

Skin dryness depends on as many factors as there are ice cream flavors. Some of the biggies include how much fat and water sit on the surface of the skin, how blood vessels react, the skin’s acidity, and the amount of normal bacteria that hang out on the skin’s surface. Some of these factors can vary depending on what race you are. For example, rates of water loss (called transepidermal water loss, TEWL) have been documented to be higher in black skin compared to Caucasian skin, which may put African-American women at higher risk for dry skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Virtual Journey: Chronic Spontaneous Urticaria
Join Dr. Jen Caudle, DO, on a journey inside the body to learn more about chronic spontaneous urticaria (CSU).
15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
Are There Any Lifestyle Modifications That Help HS?
There are many lifestyle changes that can help people manage hidradenitis suppurativa, says Dr. Henry. In this video, she covers strategies that may c...
How do I treat dry skin?
How do I treat dry skin? To treat your dry skin you need to apply moisturizer and stay away from irr...