Do black women tend to have dry skin more than women of other races?

Black women may have more problems with dry skin than women of other races. Scientific studies show, for instance, that black skin does not retain as much water as white skin. In theory, that may cause skin to feel dry. One 2007 study found that black and white women tended to have dryer skin than Chinese and Mexican women, especially as they aged.
Skin dryness depends on as many factors as there are ice cream flavors. Some of the biggies include how much fat and water sit on the surface of the skin, how blood vessels react, the skin’s acidity, and the amount of normal bacteria that hang out on the skin’s surface. Some of these factors can vary depending on what race you are. For example, rates of water loss (called transepidermal water loss, TEWL) have been documented to be higher in black skin compared to Caucasian skin, which may put African-American women at higher risk for dry skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
When is the best time to visit a dermatologist?
February is the best time for a dermatology exam -- dermatologists can more easily identify area...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?