What kind of doctor should I see if I need to be checked for skin cancer?

Your family doctor is well trained to assess you for skin cancer. If you have a mole, freckle or other skin lesion that is new, changing, large, asymmetric, has irregular borders, is variably colored, is bleeding, irritating or is otherwise bothering you it is wise to have it checked out sooner rather than later. If you need to see a subspecialist, your family doctor may refer you to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in skin diseases).

Continue Learning about Skin Cancers

What are the different types of skin cancer?
National Alliance for Hispanic HealthNational Alliance for Hispanic Health
There are three main types of skin cancer and they come from the three types of cells that are found...
More Answers
When should I call my doctor if I have melanoma skin cancer?
If you have melanoma skin cancer, or if you think you might, you should call your doctor if you noti...
More Answers
How does skin cancer develop in areas of skin that aren't exposed to sun?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
While it is most common for skin cancer to develop in areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it ...
More Answers
What are the most common types of skin cancer?
Jeanine B. Downie, MDJeanine B. Downie, MD
Actinic keratosis is the most common precancer. It affects more than 58 million Americans. Appro...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.