What kind of doctor should I see if I need to be checked for skin cancer?

Your family doctor is well trained to assess you for skin cancer. If you have a mole, freckle or other skin lesion that is new, changing, large, asymmetric, has irregular borders, is variably colored, is bleeding, irritating or is otherwise bothering you it is wise to have it checked out sooner rather than later. If you need to see a subspecialist, your family doctor may refer you to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in skin diseases).

Continue Learning about Skin Cancers

Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
We all know that wearing sunscreen is one of the best ways to protect ourselves from skin cancer, especially if we’re headed out for a long day in the...
How deadly is skin cancer?
There are three types of skin cancer: basal cell squamous cell melanoma Melanoma can be d...
9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest