If I have freckles, are my chances of getting cancer heightened?

Freckles are common in people with fair skin. While freckles themselves do not increase a person's chance of getting cancer, having fair skin actually does, as it is at greater risk of damage from the sun's ultraviolet rays. People with fair skin should make sure to use protection against UV rays in the form of clothing or sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or greater.

There is some evidence that suggests those with freckles have a higher incidence of cancer. If your freckles change in appearance or change shape, it's a good idea to see a medical professional.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Can tanning salons increase my risk for skin cancer?
Tanning beds emit concentrated doses of harmful UV rays, which can cause skin cancer. They can be j...
What is the UV index?
The UV (ultraviolet) index is a measure of the level of UV radiation from the sun. The values of the...
How can I gauge my risk of getting skin cancer?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
If you have fair skin (Fitzpatrick types 1, 2, or 3) with light hair and light eyes, you are at high...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?