What are the complications of an erection lasting more than four hours?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
We all know the commercials that warn about getting medical attention for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. The reason that this is no joke is because having an erection for too long without some exchange of blood makes the tissues of the penis start to die off from lack of oxygen. Cock rings worn too tight or for too long can cause the same effect. If necrosis does occur, amputation of the dead tissue is required to prevent gangrene.
An erection that lasts more than four to six hours is known as priapism. This can be very painful and is considered an emergency. If not treated, it can cause permanent damage to the tissue, erectile dysfunction, cosmetic issues and, in worst cases, gangrene.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

The Emotional Side of Sexual Dysfunction
There’s no doubt that sex and emotions are inseparable. For starters, your mental state has a lot to do with your interest in sex. You probably know h...
How can I increase the arousal process and vaginal lubrication?
Explore the latest OTC lubricants that can help with sexual arousal.
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
You can improve your health just by being intimate.
What Do I Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Lubricants or Moisturizers to Treat Vaginal Dryness?