How long will my tooth last after root canal therapy?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
A tooth with a root canal can be weaker than a healthy tooth without a root canal. However, teeth with root canals can last a lifetime if taken care of. The support structures like the bone and ligaments are still intact and healthy. But, if not taken care of, the tooth could suffer periodontal disease, recurrent decay, recurrent abscess, or fractures that could cause premature loss. It is important to maintain good oral hygiene and visit your dentist.

Most teeth that have undergone a root canal treatment will last a lifetime. They will last unless the roots decay, the entire tooth cracks or moves, or advanced periodontal disease requires the tooth to be extracted.

Your restored tooth after root canal therapy could last a lifetime, if you continue to care for your teeth and gums. However, regular checkups are necessary. As long as the root(s) of a treated tooth are nourished by the tissues around it, your tooth will remain healthy.

Continue Learning about Root Canal Therapy

Why does the pulp need to be removed in the root canal process?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
During a root canal, the pulp of the tooth must be removed because the pulp's tissue has died and if...
What happens in the first 24 hours after a wisdom tooth is extracted?
In the first 24 hours after a wisdom tooth is extracted you may experience swelling and discomfort. ...
How can root canals be prevented?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
In some cases, the need for root canal can be prevented by good home care, frequent brushing and flo...
When should I call my doctor if I had a root canal treatment?
If you've recently had a root canal and are experiencing pain, swelling, bleeding or other problems ...