Does a bad taste in my mouth after a root canal mean infection?

In some cases, a bad taste can indicate infection if pus is draining out from the gum into the mouth. You should address this concern with your dentist and have the tooth evaluated because there are many other possible causes of a bad taste in your mouth.
It’s possible you have an infection if you have a bad taste in your mouth after a root canal. The bad taste could be from other causes as well, such as if your mouth has been very dry or you’re taking certain medications. If the bad taste persists, or you have unusual pain or swelling from the root canal site, check with your dental surgeon.

Continue Learning about Root Canal Therapy

What are the risks of not getting a root canal?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Unfortunately, if a root canal is indicated, the only alternative is extraction. If treatment is del...
How does root canal prevent tooth loss?
Violeta L. Stoyneva, DMDVioleta L. Stoyneva, DMD
A root canal prevents tooth loss in several ways: Infection is removed, pain is gone and the too...
Will my appearance be affected by a root canal?
Mark A. Burhenne, DDSMark A. Burhenne, DDS
Occasionally the tooth will discolor before or after the root canal is performed, which can be unsig...
Why does the pulp need to be removed in the root canal process?
Gary L. Sandler, DDSGary L. Sandler, DDS
Once the tissues inside the pulp chamber and canals of the tooth suffer irreversible damage or are v...