What is the difference between retinol and vitamin A?

Retinol is a type of retinoid found in vitamin A. Vitamin A is composed of two parts: retinoids, which include retinol, and carotenoids which inckude beta-carotine. Retinol is a type of vitamin A found in animal products like liver, kidney, eggs, and dairy products. Carotenoids, which hold greater amounts of vitamin A, are found in plants like dark and yellow vegetables, carrots, and fruits.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

Can retinoids make my skin look younger?
Vitamin A derivatives, called retinoids, have one of the best track records for reversing many signs...
What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...
When should I begin using a retinoid to treat signs of aging?
Because retinoids can be used for treating skin conditions, such as acne, it’s not uncommon to presc...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...