Does ethnicity affect the onset of puberty?

The onset of puberty may be related to ethnicity, especially in girls. Caucasian girls tend to begin puberty later than Mexican-American and African-American girls. Puberty typically starts later for Asian-American girls than the other listed ethnicities. Body mass index difference may be the cause for this difference, although environment and genetics could also be related.

Continue Learning about Puberty

Should I go with my teen when she goes to the doctor?
Whether you should go with your teen when she goes to the doctor depends on you and your teen's comf...
When should kids start using deodorant?
Puberty is a good time for kids to begin using deodorants. When a child reaches reach puberty (usual...
What Can I Do to Prevent My Daughter From Reaching Puberty Early?
When Does PMS First Appear?
When Does PMS First Appear?