What should I know about using sunscreen if I have psoriasis?

Too much sun can cause your psoriasis to get worse or flare up, so you should be very careful about sun exposure. However, mild sun exposure, especially UVB light, may help to improve your skin condition. Your dermatologist may suggest that you enjoy the outdoors on a limited basis, and always with sun protection. He or she may also suggest you use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. With psoriasis, you may want to try a sunscreen product made for sensitive skin.

Make sure you apply your sunscreen at least 15 minutes before sun exposure. Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every several hours for maximum protection. If you have psoriasis, you may want to try the spray versions of sunscreen so you do not irritate your affected skin.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

A Guide to Moisturizers for People With Psoriasis
Psoriasis is an inflammatory autoimmune condition that causes skin cells to grow at faster rates than normal. Psoriasis can manifest in a number of di...
What increases my risk for plaque psoriasis?
Dr. Mark W. Moronell, MDDr. Mark W. Moronell, MD
Researchers believe that for a person to develop psoriasis, the individual must have a combination o...
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
You might want to rethink hitting happy hour.
How Soon Can an Anti-Inflammatory Diet Help for Psoriasis?