What are some healthy proteins I can eat for breakfast?

The notes below show how you can eat healthy proteins -- from a variety of sources -- for breakfast:
  • Instead of the usual scrambled eggs, try scrambled tofu or egg whites with fresh, chopped vegetables and herbs.
  • Serve a high-protein fruit smoothie by blending silken tofu with frozen berries and bananas.Spread 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter on toasted whole grain bread. Top with sliced bananas and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds.
  • Add 1 ounce of toasted nuts and/or seeds to any whole grain cold or hot breakfast cereal.
  • Steer clear of high-fat breakfast meats such as bacon or sausage. Many large grocery stores and specialty stores carry healthy meat-free alternatives.
Marisa Moore

Recent research confirms that protein plays a major role in staving off hunger. Including protein at breakfast is essential to get you through the morning without needing to hit the vending machine. Try these healthy protein options for breakfast:

• Boiled eggs
  • Egg white omelet or scrambled eggs with chopped vegetables
  • Scrambled tofu with vegetables
  • Silken tofu or yogurt based smoothie with fresh or frozen fruit
  • Greek yogurt with fruit or nuts for extra protein
  • Milk or soy milk in oatmeal or cold cereal
  • Peanut or almond butter on whole grain toast
Chad Kramer
Chad Kramer on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

There are many healthy proteins choices for breakfast but it's a matter of personal taste. Eggs are most common and healthy as long as you don't eat too many. One whole egg daily is fine for most people (cholesterol-sensitive people may want to avoid all yolks) and you can add as many egg whites as you like. Low-fat dairy products, such as low-fat milk, low-fat cottage cheese and yogurt are also great options. Lean meats, such as Canadian bacon low-fat turkey, low-fat chicken, lean cuts of pork or lean cuts of beef, all in moderation, are also healthy sources of breakfast-type proteins and perfect to add to an egg white omelet.

A hard cooked egg, a serving of nuts, a cup of yogurt, or some reduced fat cheese are just a few of the ways that you can healthfully add protein to your breakfast and potentially experience less hunger throughout the morning.
Toby Smithson

The key to consuming healthy proteins is to choose lean protein foods. Great sources of lean proteins include: Greek yogurt; egg whites; tofu; lean beef slices; low fat or fat free milk; low fat cheese; and chicken or turkey without the skin. Remember to include carbohydrate in your breakfast meal in addition to a lean protein food source. This combination of foods will give you energy and help you feel satisfied for longer.

Continue Learning about Protein

Eat This Protein for Calories That Don't Count
Plan that summer picnic around bean salads instead of brats and you may enjoy a smaller waist -- even if you eat the same number of calories as the br...
How can I afford a high-protein diet?
Pierre DukanPierre Dukan
The cost of protein is relatively high -- meat, fish, and seafood can easily make a dent in a mo...
Why should I eat protein after I exercise?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Certain foods should be eaten soon after you exercise, in order to help your body form new muscle. S...
A Smart Smoothie to Control Appetite
A Smart Smoothie to Control Appetite