Can I still have sex if I have been diagnosed with placenta previa?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you have been diagnosed with placenta previa (the placenta remains in the lower portion of the uterus, partly or completely covering this opening), you should not have sex. Sex may lead to complications, like contractions and bleeding. Such complications may trigger an emergency delivery before you and your baby are ready. Explain these risks and complications to your partner.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

what should i know about pre-term contractions during pregnancy ?
Prof. Kathy SniderProf. Kathy Snider
It is always important to understand what is meant by "pre-term". In the hospital setting, it is oft...
how can i prevent incontinence during or after pregnancy ?
Pregnancy can weaken pelvic muscles, which in turn can lead to urinary incontinence. Exercising ...
what kidney problems can be detected in babies during pregnancy ?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
In recent years, better ultrasound machines have allowed doctors to see your baby's kidneys more cle...
can a low lying placenta be prevented ?
The location of the placenta is determined by where the embryo implants in the uterine lining.