Can pelvic inflammatory disease affect men?

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) doesn't affect men because it's an infection of the fallopian tubes and uterus. It develops when bacteria move from the vagina up into the upper reproductive organs. Many times, these bacteria are sexually transmitted, and STDs like gonorrhea and chlamydia may lead to PID. Obviously, it's possible for men to have those STDs, and they can spread the responsible bacteria to a woman. However, it's not possible for those STDs to develop into PID in men like they can in women.

Continue Learning about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

Can pelvic inflammatory disease affect my sex life?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) may affect your sex life for several reasons. Sometimes PID may ca...
Can I get pelvic inflammatory disease again even if I've already had it?
Having pelvic inflammatory disease once doesn't protect you from getting infected again. In fact, yo...
Is pelvic inflammatory disease painful?
Shelley C. Giebel, MDShelley C. Giebel, MD
Often pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is painful.  Patients will complain of pain with intercourse...
How do IUDs affect pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?
It's a common misconception that the use of an intrauterine device (IUD) increases the risk of devel...