How will I know if my pancreatic cancer can be removed?

The surgical classification method classifies tumors based on whether or not the tumor can be surgically removed.

Resectable: This type of cancer can be surgically removed. These tumors may lie within the pancreas or extend to nearby organs, but do not involve local blood vessels. When cancer is resectable, there is no evidence of any spread outside the tissue removed during surgery.

Locally Advanced: This type of cancer cannot be surgically removed with traditional methods because it has invaded nearby blood vessels or nearby organs. However, there is no evidence of spread to distant parts of the body.

Metastatic: This type of cancer cannot be surgically removed because the cancer has spread to other parts of the body. Unfortunately, nearly half of all pancreatic cancer cases are detected at this stage.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

How will I know what type of surgery is right for my pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
The type of surgery performed depends mostly on the location of the tumor in your pancreas. Your...
Why are clinical trials important for pancreatic cancer treatment?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Clinical trials are the bridge over which all new medical therapies must pass to become accepted pra...
How do medications treat stage 2 pancreatic cancer?
Although surgery is the most successful treatment for pancreatic cancer, it may not be possible for ...
What foods should I eat after pancreatic resection?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Foods that are more easily digested soon after pancreatic resection include:Eggs: soft boiled, har...