What is the Q Ball system for pain relief after surgery?

Thankfully, the days of intramuscular injections (you know, the ones that hurt!) for post op pain relief are long gone. These days, in addition to epidural catheters and PCA pumps, there is another 'trick' that surgeons can use to improve patient's pain control. 

The Q Ball system (also called other names by different manufacturers) is usually a clear, round rubber ball that has a catheter on one end (that goes into the operative site) and the ball on the other end. The device pumps local anesthetic medicine into the operative site for up to 5 days thus dramatically increasing the patient's comfort post op.

These devices are often used in orthopedic surgeries like total knee and hip replacements as well as spine surgeries.

If you're considering having surgery, ask your surgeon about the plan for post op pain control! 

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Pain, The Opioid Epidemic and How Health Care Has to Improve
Opioid addiction is a national epidemic—and so is chronic pain. Could there be a relationship? 1.  In 2015, 2 million Americans had a substance use d...
What should I consider before using topical pain relievers?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
There are a few important points to consider if you decide to try topical pain relievers.Discuss thi...
What over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers can I give my child?
For babies 6 months of age or younger, parents should only give acetaminophen for pain relief. For a...
How Does Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (PEMF) Treat Pain?