question

What is physical pain?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
answer

Pain is a sensation caused by a certain type of message being sent through the nervous system. Physical pain is what most people refer to when they say something hurts on their body and is associated with damage to tissues of their body. Physical pain can be caused by many things and can be described as throbbing, aching, or burning. Physical pain can also be described as acute, meaning it is only present for a short period of time, or chronic, meaning it lasts for months.

Continue Learning about Pain

What to Give a Child for Pain
What to Give a Child for Pain
To many of us who grew up taking it, codeine is a familiar drug. But it’s vital to be aware that things have changed. Opioids—including codeine, trama...
I Have Abdominal Pain…Should I Be Worried?
Whether mild or severe, abdominal pain affects almost everyone at some point or another, but for a variety of reasons. It can be worrisome and uncomfo...
What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?
What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy? The symptoms of peripheral neuropathy vary dramatica...
Natural and Home Remedies for Pain
Natural and Home Remedies for PainNatural and Home Remedies for PainNatural and Home Remedies for PainNatural and Home Remedies for Pain
Fight pain with self-care strategies like yoga, Tai chi, meditation and more. It takes a multifaceted approach to take the edge off chronic pain. That...