What is physical pain?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Pain is a sensation caused by a certain type of message being sent through the nervous system. Physical pain is what most people refer to when they say something hurts on their body and is associated with damage to tissues of their body. Physical pain can be caused by many things and can be described as throbbing, aching, or burning. Physical pain can also be described as acute, meaning it is only present for a short period of time, or chronic, meaning it lasts for months.

Continue Learning about Pain

Is Marijuana the Exit Drug Out of the Opioid Crisis?
As doctors, one of our primary responsibilities is to alleviate pain. Dr. Mike is an anesthesiologist and internist who, at the Cleveland Clinic, ran ...
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints
How Do I Identify Pre-Pain Symptoms to Avoid Chronic Pain?
What Are the Different Types of Back Pain?