What are natural treatments for osteoporosis?

Michael Jurgelewicz
Chiropractic Medicine

Instead of jumping on the bandwagon like so many people do today and assume that taking calcium, Fosamax and Hormone Replacement Therapy are the ONLY things to do; your doctor may not know all the facts.

The approach I take is "Patient-Specific" and NOT "Disease-Specific"; meaning what may work for one patient may not work for another.

I first would recommend that we order a Bone Resorption test. If you have not had this test done and you are suffering with osteoporosis than I will have to say "shame on your doctor". This test is a must. Remember, as important as a Bone Density test is, it cannot provide the kind of immediate information that a Bone Resorption test will offer.

Please understand both a Bone Density and the Bone Resorption are important. The Bone Density will provide a "long-range" measuring stick whereas, the Bone Resorption can be done periodically to measure how successful a specific treatment is. By the time there is a change in the Bone Density it might be too late. That is why having your physician order a periodic Bone Resorption test.

Recommending calcium for every person just doesn't make any sense when we know calcium is not the only important mineral found in bone. What about magnesium, manganese, boron, etc.?

We can't ignore the other essential minerals such as magnesium, boron, manganese in favor of calcium. Is it possible that just maybe a person suffering with osteoporosis may need the benefits of manganese and magnesium and not calcium?

I recommend the "gold" standard of mineral tests. This is a blood test that measures the RBC levels of one's essential minerals. In addition, I order a female hormone panel to check estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. The "blind" usage of HRT without proper testing doesn't make sense.

I recommend increasing your intake of spring or filtered water (NO DISTILLED) I prescribe the proper supplements to balance the hormones based upon the female hormone panel. I would test vitamin D 25-OH level and treat accordingly. I recommend the minerals that are insufficient based on the RBC blood test such as, magnesium and manganese. It is important to perform light weight bearing exercise. Each meal should consist of 2-3 ounces of a lean protein: chicken, turkey, fish, eggs (No dairy), 1-2 serving of vegetables and a 1/2 cup of an approved starch: sweet potato, brown rice, non-yeast bread. In addition, taking fish oil daily will help improve overall body health. That's it!

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Watch as Naturopathic Doctor and Licensed Acupuncturist Dr. Pina LoGiudice shares some natural treatments for osteoporosis.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Treatment

What Is the Effect of the Ornish Diet on Osteoporosis?
If you have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, you know the weakening of bones increases the likelihood of getting a fracture. In the United States, mo...
What treatments should I take for osteoporosis?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The treatment for osteoporosis consists of diet, exercise, and sometimes medication. In the recent p...
Can taking too much calcium for osteoporosis be harmful?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Although calcium is important for preventing and treating osteoporosis, there are dangers if you...
Treadmill Talks: FDA Releases Health Warnings on Osteoporosis Medications