What are the alternatives to getting a clear plastic dental retainer?

Alternative to getting a clear plastic dental retainer include a vacuform or invisible retainer, which covers all teeth with a clear plastic and molds directly onto the teeth. They are a good cosmetic option but may not last as long as other retainers.

Fixed or permanent retainers are another option for some people. These retainers have wires that are bonded onto the back of your front teeth. Extra care must be taken to brush and floss between the teeth when wearing a fixed retainer to prevent dental problems.

Only your orthodontist can decide which type of retainer, if any, is best for you.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are braces magnetized?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, ...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...