Why should I avoid food and drinks with fortified nutrients?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Sometimes foods and beverages are fortified with nutrients, such as soda pop with added vitamins and minerals. But fortifying a junk food does not undo its junkiness. Every year there is a new "it" ingredient among food manufacturers, which then gets media coverage. Soon after, we're looking for it in every food we eat. This poses nutrition issues as opposed to resolving them.

First of all, a product with added nutrients from an isolated form may not benefit you the way that same nutrient can be consumed from a natural form. Too, it's possible to get too much of a single nutrient when it's added to a food product, and more isn't necessarily better.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Hypertension: Salt Still Matters
Hypertension: Salt Still Matters
Photo Credit: Peppered Jane, via Flickr Creative Commons When does following a low-salt diet really matter? Find out from Carra Richling, from Ornish...
What is lipoprotein(a)?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Lipoprotein(a) is produced by the liver and is formed when low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholest...
How does what I eat affect my hair?
For your hair to have the shine and shape that you want, it needs protein and healthy fat -- not dir...
How Does Pepsico Succeed in the Health and Wellness Space?