What will happen if I take in too many nutrients?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Ingesting too much of a good thing can be unproductive and possibly destructive. If you over consume vitamin C, your system's protective mechanism expels the excess through urine, and ingesting too many vitamin supplements can have many potentially toxic effects. For instance, an overload of carotene (the type of vitamin A found in carrots) literally causes skin to turn orange and can lead to liver problems. Consider herbal and vitamin supplements to be drugs, and treat them with the same kind of cautious respect. It's wise to check with your doctor before embarking on any kind of supplementation program, and it's a good idea to check the USDA Recommended Dietary Allowance to see how much is too much. Keep in mind that the body absorbs and utilizes vitamins in food more effectively and efficiently than it digests supplements. Coming back to the body's amazing protective mechanism, it takes in only about 15 percent of the nutrient in a supplement if you don't have a deficiency, and the rest is excreted in urine.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Are Phosphates Making It Hard for You to Stay Active?
DC Comics’ Doctor Phosphorus clearly suffers from a damaging excess of his namesake mineral. When he (as Dr. Alexander James Sartorius) was exposed to...
What are the main ingredients in chocolate?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Chocolate contains three main stimulating and pleasure-producing compounds: caffeine, cannabinoids a...
What are the best choices in fast food restaurants?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
This answer is directly from the book 90 days to a New You. With a recent paradigm shift seen by ma...
What Superfoods Can I Buy for $5 or Less?