How can I lower my ghrelin levels so I'm less hungry?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

There are a few things you need to do in order to keep ghrelin at bay.

• Eat every 4 hours. Ghrelin is produced and secreted on a four hour schedule. In order to keep ghrelin low you need to eat on a schedule. Eat at least three meals, and one to two snacks every 3-4 hours daily.
  • Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Less than 7 hours of sleep has been associated with higher ghrelin levers, reported hunger, and higher body weight in research studies.
  • Eat animal protein at every meal. Protein takes longer to digest, and studies show it is the most effect food groups at lowering ghrelin.
  • Drink at least 75 ounces water daily. Thirst and hunger are easily confused because they share the same side effects; fatigue, muscle cramping/soreness, dizzy, poor concentration etc.
  • Reduce stress. Stress is associated with higher body weight, and ghrelin production.
Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing
Grehlin levels remain high until food stretches the wall of your stomach making you feel full. High volume, low calorie, nutrient dense foods reduce grehlin levels long before you have overeaten. A light salad or vegetable soup goes along way to cutting back on your hunger. If using protein to suppress grehlin it is important to remember to stay organic and within your portion size or calorie allowance. This is when a protein shake might come in handy.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

High-Fiber Foods for Better Weight Loss
High-Fiber Foods for Better Weight Loss
Make your weight-loss regimen a whole lot easier. Just munch on these high-fiber foods. We're talking about fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, n...
Should I eat fruit if I'm trying to lose weight?
Stefanie Sacks, MSStefanie Sacks, MS
You should never cut fruit out of your diet; if you are trying to lose weight, choose whole fruits w...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
The Obesity Epidemic in America
The Obesity Epidemic in America