Are over-the-counter medicines available for narcolepsy?

Although some claim to be effective, there are no proven over-the-counter medications that can cure or treat narcolepsy. Taking nonprescription stimulants, for example, can be dangerous and ineffective without a doctor's oversight. Talk to your doctor before using any medication for your narcolepsy symptoms.

Continue Learning about Narcolepsy

What kind of doctor should I see for my narcolepsy?
If you suspect you have narcolepsy, you may want to make an appointment with your family physici...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with narcolepsy?
If you are caring for someone with narcolepsy, make an appointment for them to see their doctor abou...
Are there alternative treatments for narcolepsy?
Behavioral changes may help treat some of your narcolepsy symptoms without medication. Avoid smoking...
How do other illnesses affect narcolepsy?
Because the exact cause of narcolepsy is not known, it is unknown whether any other disease has an...