Should I take a supplement with iron during my period?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
To replace iron lost during monthly periods, you need a diet rich in iron. In the United States, one in 10 women and girls who menstruate is deficient in iron. The recommended daily amount of iron for adult women ages 19 to 50 is 18 mg. If you are a menstruating woman, you may wish to take a multivitamin that contains iron, or check with your doctor to see if need iron supplements.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What is manganese?
Manganese is a mineral. It is a key contributor to a number of bodily functions, including bone grow...
What minerals do I need in my diet?
A number of minerals are found in either large or trace amounts in our bodies, all of which are nece...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young