Should I take a supplement with iron during my period?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
To replace iron lost during monthly periods, you need a diet rich in iron. In the United States, one in 10 women and girls who menstruate is deficient in iron. The recommended daily amount of iron for adult women ages 19 to 50 is 18 mg. If you are a menstruating woman, you may wish to take a multivitamin that contains iron, or check with your doctor to see if need iron supplements.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fou...
What is the estimated daily intake of minerals by an adult human male?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The estimated daily intake of minerals by an adult human male is as follows: Calcium -- 800 mg ...
Who should take cobalt?
Although cobalt deficiencies are rare, you may need to take a cobalt supplement if you have a vi...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young