What is the plateau phase of male sexual response?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
The four-stage model for understanding male sexual response is excitement, plateau, orgasm, and response.

After the excitement phase, a man's excitement tends to plateau or level off before he gets even more aroused. During this phase, his body approaches orgasm and he usually has a full erection. As he gets ready to come, his abs and thighs tighten, his hands and feet clench, and his breath gets quicker and more uneven.

Continue Learning about Men's Health

No Excuses: Staying Healthy on the Road
No Excuses: Staying Healthy on the Road
I travel for work just about every week. You might have the healthiest of intentions when you're at home, but if you're like me, once you hit the road...
Do circumcised men tend to have their sons circumcised?
Jennifer S. Singer, MDJennifer S. Singer, MD
Interestingly, many parents don't want their children to look different from their fathers or brothe...
5 Reasons Men Avoid the Doctor, But Shouldn't
5 Reasons Men Avoid the Doctor, But Shouldn't5 Reasons Men Avoid the Doctor, But Shouldn't5 Reasons Men Avoid the Doctor, But Shouldn't5 Reasons Men Avoid the Doctor, But Shouldn't
Don't like tests? Too busy? Embarrassed? Go anyway. It could save your life.
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis