Is L-Lysine better for your body than Valtrex?

Talk to your doctor about whether L-lysine supplements or the drug called Valtrex is better for you. Both therapies may reduce the severity and the number of outbreaks of cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 -- but both may also cause side effects.

The more common side effects of Valtrex (valacyclovir hydrochloride) include headache, nausea, stomach pain, vomiting and dizziness. Less common side effects may include kidney failure, nervous system problems, painful menstrual periods, joint pain and depression. Lysine supplements may raise blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, so they may not be recommended for people with heart disease or high cholesterol or triglycerides.

Your doctor can help determine the best way for you to treat herpes cold sores while minimizing side effects.

Continue Learning about Lysine

Who should not take lysine?
Since the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved lysine to treat any condition, it s...
Should I let my doctor know I’m taking lysine?
It is a good idea to consult a doctor before taking LLysine. The supplement can be harmful for some ...
What is the best way to take lysine?
The best way to take L-lysine depends on personal preference and on the particular reason for using ...
Is lysine safe for children?
L-lysine is usually not recommended for infants or toddlers. Most other children will receive ad...