What are some tips for people living with Parkinson's disease?

Following are some tips for people living with Parkinson's disease:

• While Parkinson's disease is a degenerative condition, think of it more like a chronic condition because there are very effective therapies and strategies available.
  • It takes work. A doctor can't give people a pill and then have everything go away without any effort on their or families' part. So there does need to be active enrollment in therapy programs. It can be for anybody on the spectrum, from someone who is not very impacted by their symptoms yet to people who are significantly impacted by their symptoms.
  • The sooner people with Parkinson's disease modify their behavior and begin participating in exercise, therapy, diet change, sleeping well and things like that -- the more this will help down the road as the disease and the symptoms change and progress.
  • People with Parkinson's need to remember that, while they are getting a diagnosis that no one ever wants to hear, they do have a lot of tools available to them to be able to maintain a good quality of life and a high level of function for a fairly long period of time.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

A helpful tip for people living with Parkinson's disease is that in most major cities there is a Parkinson society that has resources such as help groups, but also access to supplies that allow greater quality of life. Also, the tremor of Parkinson's disease can be partially managed by medications prescribed by a doctor, but there are other utilities to help with tremor, such as physical and occupational therapy.

Continue Learning about Living With Parkinson's Disease

How can I make wearing neckties easier if I have Parkinson's disease?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
If your Parkinson's disease makes tying a necktie difficult, try adjustable, pre-knotted zipper ties...
How can I make grocery shopping easier if I have Parkinson's disease?
If you have Parkinson's disease, these tips may help make grocery shopping easier:Choose a groce...
What Triggered the Use of Vigorous Exercise to Treat Parkinson's Disease?
Do You Think Lack of Funding for Stem Cell Research Will Change?