How can having Parkinson's disease affect communication?

Parkinson’s disease can affect communication in many ways. Your ability to speak can diminish because of the disease itself or because of the medications used to control your symptoms. It is important, though, that you talk for yourself whenever possible. Don’t get into the habit of letting others do all the talking for you. Have a discussion with your family and friends about your speech problems, and let them know ways they can help you. Encourage them to ask you to speak louder or ask for a repetition. Try not to be defensive when asked to repeat yourself. Staying calm will make it much easier for you to be heard and understood. If you are frustrated when a well-meaning family member attempts to fill in words when you pause in a sentence, let her know that you just need a little more time to finish and that you’d appreciate the chance to speak on your own. Set some ground rules about which approaches to communication work for you and which approaches you find less helpful. The important thing is not to let speech difficulties prevent you from communicating and participating in social activities.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Living With Parkinson's Disease

How can I manage my medical care for Parkinson's disease?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Managing your medical care will be easier if all your doctors and specialists belong to the same...
How can I make mealtimes easier if I have Parkinson's disease?
If you have Parkinson's disease, these tips may help make mealtimes easier:If grasping and holding...
Why Is It Important to Keep Your Mind Active and Involved if You Have Parkinson's?
What Triggered the Use of Vigorous Exercise to Treat Parkinson's Disease?