What is the difference between infectious and communicable diseases?

An infectious disease is a disease caused by a microorganism and therefore potentially infinitely transferable to new individuals. It may or may not be communicable. An example of a non-communicable disease is disease caused by toxins from food poisoning or infection caused by toxins in the environment, such as tetanus.

A communicable disease on the other hand is an infectious disease that is contagious and which can be transmitted from one source to another by infectious bacteria or viral organisms.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Tuberculosis Exposure: Should You Be Worried?
More than 1,000 people in California, including 350 infants, may have been exposed to tuberculosis (TB) at a hospital between August and November. A n...
How can I keep my child from picking up germs at school?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Elementary school students have plenty of interaction in the classroom, cafeteria and playground, so...
What is an infectious disease specialist?
Infectious disease specialists are medical doctors who are specially trained to diagnose and treat i...
Why Can't We Develop Just One Drug to Combat Malaria?