Is it normal for my child to have a fever after getting a vaccine?

Your child can have a fever after getting a vaccine as the immune system becomes activated.

Mild reactions to vaccines such as a low-grade fever and fussiness may occur but fortunately do not last long.

Although newborns may run a fever after receiving immunizations, check in with your pediatrician because any fever in a baby younger than 3 months should be evaluated. Some infants and toddlers will have a fever after their immunizations. Having a mild fever without any other symptoms is not dangerous. Give an appropriate dose of infant acetaminophen for a temperature above 100.4°F (38°C) or if your infant seems cranky. Your pediatrician may recommend a dose of acetaminophen just prior to the next set of vaccines or that you give acetaminophen as needed for the next 24 hours.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
What are opportunistic infections?
Opportunistic infections are infections that occur more frequently and are more severe in people who...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
Why Focus on Therapy Rather Than Prevention for Infectious Diseases?