What type of doctor should I see for high blood pressure?

Your family doctor can be an excellent person to ask about ways to lower your blood pressure. Doctors who specialize in family medicine typically have a broad range of medical knowledge and can offer advice on many health subjects.

Your family doctor can provide tips on lifestyle strategies such as exercising and eating well that may help lower your blood pressure, as well as prescribe medicine if necessary. Together you can monitor your progress.
Joseph H. Henderson, MD
Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease)
Family physicians and internists treat most patients with high blood pressure. They are highly skilled in identifying and treating it. Referral to a hypertension clinic is only necessary in a very small minority of patients who have persistent and severe elevations in blood pressure despite treatment with multiple blood pressure medications.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Deborah L. Neiman, MD
Internal Medicine

Usually the best place to start for any treatment is with your primary care doctor. It is best to have a good relationship with your primary care doctor and you can listen to his or hers recommendations and see how you proceed.

If you are not satisfied or would just prefer to see a specialist, you can see a specialist for high blood pressure which is usually either a cardiologist or a nephrologist (a kidney specialist). Both of these specialist work primarily with disease processes that control and affect the blood pressure and are familiar with the necessary work up to be done on each individual patient and are very familiar with the medications that would be the most appropriate to use.

Again, my first recommendation is to start with your primary care doctor but if necessary to see a specialist, it would be best to choose either a cardiologist or a nephrologist.

Edtrina Moss
Ambulatory Care

Diagnosing high blood pressure is usually done during your annual visit to your primary care doctor or the nurse practitioner. They can help get your blood pressure down to a manageable level through medication and recommendations for lifestyle modifications in nutrition and exercise.

Over time, the effects of high blood pressure may cause other symptoms related to your heart and vascular health. It is recommended that a specialist, a cardiologist monitors your care. A cardiologist has special training in identifying, preventing, and treating diseases of the heart and blood vessels.

Your primary care provider and your cardiologist will work together to manage your blood pressure to prevent damage to vital organs. You are also part of your healthcare team. Your role is to discuss concerns, challenges, and goals for your healthcare with your providers. Also, you are responsible for monitoring your blood pressure between visits to assist the team in providing the best care specific to your needs.

Through successful communication and collaboration, you and your healthcare team can manage your blood pressure to healthy levels for you! 

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Treatment

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.