How much pain will I feel after open heart surgery?

Generally, open heart surgery is not a painful experience. One notable exception is the removal of the drainage tubes, which typically occurs on post-operative day one. It may feel a bit odd and sometimes can be a brief source of pain. It will feel uncomfortable when you cough, laugh or sneeze. This discomfort may last for about a month. To alleviate this pain, it is helpful to have a cough buddy (some sort of pillow which is often provided by your hospital). Wrap your arms around the bear and squeeze it against your breastbone when you cough.

During your hospital stay, pain medicine is provided. There is no value in trying to wait until the pain is unbearable before requesting pain medicine. It is far easier to prevent pain than it is to alleviate it. After a few days, most patients just take Tylenol, although narcotics are available on request. A prescription for narcotics is usually provided upon discharge.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

why would i need valve surgery ?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
When heart valves are seriously harmed by birth defects, inflammation, degeneration, or infection, v...
can i drink alcoholic beverages after my heart surgery ?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Alcohol intake may interfere with the effect of some medications or increase your blood pressure...
will bypass surgery cure my heart disease ?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Coronary artery bypass surgery does not cure heart disease. The surgery is useful to reroute the blo...
what is the procedure for an off-pump heart surgery ?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
This type of heart surgery is the same as traditional open-heart surgery, except you aren't connecte...