What is a manual toothbrush?

A manual toothbrush refers to a toothbrush that is not battery or electrically powered. Different from a powered toothbrush, a manual toothbrush entails that you move the toothbrush in a circular motion around your teeth. In general, the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing twice a day regardless of what kind of toothbrush you have. Approved powered and manual toothbrushes will have the ADA Seal of Acceptance. This seal shows that the product is safe and effective in tooth cleaning.
A manual toothbrush is a hand-held brush made out of hard plastic. The toothbrush has soft plastic bristles for cleaning the gums and between the teeth. Manual toothbrushes are manipulated by the person using it, moving the brush up and down over the teeth and gums to remove plaque, food, and debris.
A manual toothbrush is one where you move the toothbrush. You should use your arm and hard to create small circles to brush your teeth. In battery or electronic toothbrushes, these create the circular motion while you touch the brush to the tooth. A manual toothbrush can be just as effective if you brush correctly and for two minutes each time.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How do I clean my teeth if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Good oral hygiene is especially important when braces are present. Brushing regularly, as direct...
How often should I have my teeth cleaned?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
You should get a professional cleaning from your hygienist two to three times a year, more often...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth