What causes urine to have a strong odor?

Normally, urine doesn't have much of an odor. The volume and concentration of a variety of substances excreted by the kidneys can give urine an odor. Urine that is very concentrated typically has a stronger (ammonia) than usual scent, which is common for the urine, voided after waking up in the morning or if you become dehydrated during the day.
Causes of urine odor include:

• Certain foods (e.g., asparagus due to folic acid)
  • Medications (e.g. antibiotics)
  • Vitamins (e.g., Vitamin B)
  • Infections (e.g., bladder, kidney)

Diseases:

• Diabetes (uncontrolled)
  • Liver failure
  • Maple sugar urine (inherited metabolic disorder characterized by urine that smells similar to maple syrup)
  • Fistula: bowel to bladder (abnormal connection between the bowel and urinary bladder)

Sometimes it can be difficult to tell where the smell is coming from. For example, a woman may think that her urine has a strong or unpleasant odor, when actually the source is her vagina. Common vaginal infections with trichomoniasis or gardnerella, can cause strong, foul, and fishy odors. 
Pay attention to the odor of your urine. If there is a change, not simply related to dehydration (lack of fluid intake), then contact your healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

What are nephrons?
Nephrons are small structures inside the kidneys. Learn more about nephrons and other topics from ou...
What are the steps when performing CISC for boys?
CISC can be done sitting or standing, whichever is easiest. Learn more about what steps to take from...
How can I live a normal life if I have only one kidney?
How can I live a normal life if I have only one kidney? About one in 500 people are born with a sing...
What does it mean when someone does CISC through a stoma?
Some people need an operation where the doctor makes a small hole, called a stoma, through the abdom...