How often should I eat meat for optimum health?

There is no consensus on how much meat we should eat to optimize health, but a diet rich in vegetables, fruits and low in saturated fats has been shown to reduce heart disease, certain cancers and diabetes. Select low fat meats and avoid salted or cured meats. Try to have fish at least twice per week. The serving size of meat should be no larger than the size of the palm of your hand.
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Eat chicken or turkey, preferably skinless breast meat, up to one to two times per week. Eat pork, lean beef, and lamb moderately, working toward roughly one to two times per week. Choose loin and round cuts, which are leanest.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Seeking Healthy Food Cultures
Seeking Healthy Food Cultures
Michael Moore’s movie, Where to Invade Next, shows the filmmaker “invading” other countries to seize their solutions to social problems for use here a...
What combination of whole foods should I eat?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Eat the amount and combination of whole foods that make you feel best. There are many different appr...
How do I ingest 4-5 servings of legumes, nuts or seeds weekly?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
This is easy! A serving of beans (legumes) is just 1/2 cup. A serving of nuts or seeds is 1 oz which...
How Can I Feed a Large Family In an Easy and Healthy Way?