How common is sex among the elderly?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
Many older Americans routinely engage in vaginal intercourse, oral sex and masturbation according to a federally funded study published by the New England Journal of Medicine in 2007. 3,005 men and women participated in the study. 73 percent among those 57-64; 53 percent among 65-74 years olds and 26 percent of those 75-85 said "affirmative" to sex. One in seven were using drugs to increase performance.

A survey of 250 residents in 15 Texas nursing homes found that eight percent of them said they had sexual intercourse in the preceding month and 17 percent more were wishing they had. In the Journal Clinical Geriatrics, 90 percent of 63 physically dependent nursing home residents said they had sexual thoughts, fantasies and dreams.
Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging