What is the nutritional value of beans?

Judy Caplan
Beans are by far the best plant source of protein. Beans or legumes are edible seeds enclosed in pods. In addition to protein, legumes are loaded with energy giving complex carbohydrates. They are also full of B vitamins, zinc, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and iron. Beans have the highest protein content of any plant food. The protein comes in a package that is low in calories, cholesterol free, virtually fat free, and generally high in fiber. Though the protein is incomplete, this deficiency can be overcome by serving them with rice or other grains, seeds or nuts, or a small amount animal protein such as poultry, fish, egg white, or low fat yogurt.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

How are blueberries or spinach good for my health?
How are blueberries or spinach good for my health? Blueberries and spinach are two of the most power...
What is the benefit of eating grapefruit and avocado together?
Grapefruits are great on their own: They’re rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that's been shown to re...
How fast does food lose nutrients?
How fast does food lose nutrients? How fast nutrient depletion happens depends on the food. Learn m...
Is burnt toast good for me?
Is burnt toast good for me? Research shows that the nutrients in bread crust go up in smoke when bre...