Is it true that I should not eat meats and starches at the same time?

That is an old myth that still resurfaces in popularity every once in a while. The premise behind the myth is that enzymes for digestion of protein and starch occur in different areas of the intestine, so combining them will somehow confuse the body and cause all sorts of problems. The human body is amazing in its design, and can definitely handle meat and potatoes at one sitting. During the digestive process, the food eaten is exposed to enzymes and mashed and squished by the intestinal muscles into a paste called chyme. This mixing motion in the guts allows the food to be continuously exposed to the enzymes so that digestion, and ultimately absorption, can occur. There is absolutely no published data or research to lend validity to the belief that food should be separated.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Is Ghee Actually Good for Your Health?
Is Ghee Actually Good for Your Health?
A number of diets, like the Ketogenic (Keto) and Whole30, tout ghee as a healthier alternative to butter. But ghee—which is a common ingredient in man...
The Superfruit You May Not Know
The Superfruit You May Not Know
Try something different. Add a little lychee to your fruit salad. Not only will it add an exotic tickle for your taste buds, but it will tickle your t...
What is the difference between enriched and fortified foods?
What is the difference between enriched and fortified foods? Enriched foods add back nutrients that ...
How Can I Choose Healthy Takeout Foods?
How Can I Choose Healthy Takeout Foods?