What is the correct way to take an axillary temperature?

An axillary temperature is measured in the axilla or armpit area. It is recommended to use a digital thermometer when taking an axillary temperature. To take an axillary temperature:

• Remove any clothing on the arm being used.
  • Raise the patient’s arm.
  • Make sure the underarm area is dry. If the individual has visible deodorant, powder or lotion in the area, it needs to be removed with a dry cloth.
  • Turn on the thermometer and put a protective cover on the tip
  • Place the thermometer under the arm with the tip of the thermometer positioned in the pit of the axilla.
  • Bring the arm next to the body.
  • Hold the thermometer in place until the sound signals it is finished.
  • Remove the thermometer and read the temperature.
  • Clean the thermometer before putting it away.

Continue Learning about Health Screening & Wellness

Why do I need an annual physical?
Dr. Susan S. Blum, MDDr. Susan S. Blum, MD
An annual physical exam is a good for 2 reasons. First, it keeps you in touch with your doctor so th...
What preventive care services should I receive?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
The following preventive care services are recommended for adults:Blood work for cholesterol and fas...
How Can I Determine If a Doctor Will See Patients at Night or on Weekends?
What Is One Way to Improve My Relationship with My Doctor?