How can I find out the amount of my co-pay?

Your co-pay amount should be listed in your insurance plan documents or even on your insurance ID card. If you can't find it, you should be able to find out the amount of your co-pay by calling the customer service number on your insurance ID card. Be aware that your co-pay amount can vary depending on the particular medical service you are receiving. Co-pays for an office visit with your doctor may be less than a co-pay for a visit to the emergency room, for example, and co-pays for generic prescription medications may be less than those for brand name drugs. Also, your medical plan may require you to stay within its network of providers to maintain a lower copay; some plans charge a higher copayment if you go outside the network. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Make Sense of Your Health Insurance Coverage
It happened again—another mysterious medical bill has arrived for treatment you thought was covered under your health insurance policy. Before the fru...
What is accidental death insurance?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
Accidental death insurance provides a payout if you die in an accidental way. This could be a car ac...
What should an insurance checklist for retirement or death include?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
An insurance checklist for retirement or death could include a review of your: Healthcare insura...
What Do You Think About Preventative Care?