Can I change my health insurance plan to add a step-child?

Yes, you should be able to add your stepchild to your health insurance plan. Family members eligible for coverage under your health plan include your spouse (including a valid common law marriage) and children under age 26, including legally adopted children, recognized natural (born out of wedlock) children and stepchildren (including children of same-sex domestic partners). You can add your stepchild to your health insurance plan during open enrollment, or if adding your stepchild meets the definition of a qualifying life event, during a special enrollment. Typically a dependent stepchild must be living with you (rather than another parent) to be added to your insurance coverage. Check your plan for any other special requirements. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act
6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act
Get the facts on the Affordable Care Act and what it means for you. Still confused about the Affordable Care Act (ACA)? You're not alone. Now that the...
How Important Is the Patient-Doctor Relationship?
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?
Who Do You Politiically Align Your Company With?