What medicines are most often prescribed for children?

In my own practice, here are the top five meds I’m likely to prescribe on any given day: 

• Amoxicillin. It’s a common antibiotic for ear infections and strep throat, usually given to kids in a bubblegum-pink liquid form. You’ll find it in almost every parent’s fridge at some point during their children’s growing-up years. Fortunately, it tastes pretty good, so kids usually take it without a problem. 
  • Zithromax (azithromycin). This antibiotic (also known as “Z-Pack”) is used for bronchitis and pneumonia; it’s also the go‑to option for kids who are allergic to penicillin. 
  • Zantac (ranitidine). This liquid prescription version of the adult heartburn medicine is used for babies with severe spitting-up problems (gastroesophageal reflux). 
  • Albuterol. It’s a bronchodilator, meaning it relieves wheezing or asthma by opening up the airways. I usually prescribe it as an inhaler or in a nebulizer, though liquid forms and tablets are available too.
  • Ocuflox (ofloxacin ophthalmic). These are drops used to treat pinkeye (conjunctivitis). It seems like every kid gets pinkeye at some point or another and then shares it with their best buddies, and probably with you, too!

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Prime Directive for Healthcare
Prime Directive for Healthcare
In Star Trek, the Prime Directive may work well to protect less advanced societies from contamination by the hyper-techy world of Starfleet. But in th...
What are the benefits of a primary care physician (PCP)?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
It is important to have a primary care physician (PCP) because getting annual physicals and tests is...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
Are Generic Drugs as Good as Brand-Name Medications?