What is conventional medicine?

Conventional medicine applies to the medicine that graduates of traditional medical schools and residencies prescribe to. When you go to your doctor, for the most part you will be prescribed conventional medicine. Conventional medicine does not include homeopathy, accupuncture, aromatherapy, etc. That is not to say there is not a place for these treatments in certain patients.

Conventional medicine is a medical model of evidence-based practice for diagnosing and treating disease.

Dr. Alan Gaby
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Conventional medicine is the type of medicine that the people who control the medical education system have deemed to be the most appropriate system of medical care. In the United States, conventional medicine consists primarily of drugs and surgery, which are the most widely used treatment modalities. Other treatments such as nutritional therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture and herbal medicine, are not generally considered to be a part of conventional medicine, even though they have been shown to be safe, effective and relatively inexpensive.

Conventional medicine is a system in which medical doctors and other healthcare professionals (such as nurses, pharmacists and therapists) treat symptoms and diseases using drugs, radiation or surgery. Also called allopathic medicine, biomedicine, mainstream medicine, orthodox medicine and Western medicine.

This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

A Nurse's Perspective: The 3 Most Awesome Healthcare Tips
As the head nurse at a level 2 trauma center, I listen and communicate with empathy to help my patients to survive, heal and go home healthier. But I’...
What are the benefits of having a family doctor?
There are many benefits to having a family doctor. It is good to have a doctor who knows you and kno...
5 Bogus Health Tips
5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips
These common health rules may not be as accurate as you think.
What Does a Chief Innovation Officer Do?