What could cause hair loss in my teenage daughter?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Illness, stress, poor nutrition, and certain drugs can lead to hair loss.

Each hair follicle goes through its own cycle of hair growth:
  • There is normally a growth phase ("anagen") that lasts two to six years
  • Next comes a transition phase ("catagen")
  • Then a resting phase ("telogen"), which usually lasts about three months before the growth phase starts over
Stress of any kind can cause more hairs to "take a rest". During this time, hair stops growing and hairs fall out. This condition, called "telogen effluvium", usually goes away once the body recovers from the stress has started the condition.

Illness and certain drugs can lead to "anagen effluvium", during which actively growing hairs fall out.

While poor nutrition can affect hair growth, a more common cause of hair loss in teens is a condition called "alopecia areata". This happens when the body's immune cells attack hair follicles, leading to hair loss. Hair disappears in circles on the scalp. In some cases, there is total loss of hair. This condition usually gets better with time.

Another common cause of hair loss in teens is fungal infection. This can appear with scaling (like dandruff) and itching of the scalp. Still another cause of hair loss is pulling hair back tightly or twisting hair.

If hair loss continues, see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
Unlocking the Mysteries of Eating Disorders: A Life-Saving Guide to Your Child's Treatment and Recovery (Harvard Medical School Guides)

A Harvard doctor’s practical, prescriptive, and compassionate approach to healing your child's eating disorder This insightful and comforting guide, written by two internationally known experts,...

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
How can I tell if my hair is falling out?
Grab a group of hairs on your head (aim for about 60 -- or the amount that would fit through a straw...
Can hair loss be prevented?
If you have hereditary baldness, you cannot prevent hair loss. You can try, however, to limit hair l...
What Are the Latest Advances in Hair Transplant Procedures?