When should I call my doctor if I have hair loss?

Hair loss can be a sign of male-pattern baldness, a fungal infection or something more serious, such as a thyroid condition. If you have hair loss that you feel is abnormal, it's best to see your doctor about it, especially if you notice a rash or pain on your scalp. These symptoms could be due to infection and need treatment. 
It depends on what type of hair loss, or alopecia, you have. The most common type in men is male pattern baldness, which is related to hormones and usually runs in families. In women, the most common type is female pattern baldness; it runs in families, too, and may be related to hormone changes that happen around menopause. Other types of hair loss include alopecia areata (caused by the body's immune system) and medication-related hair loss. Some medical conditions, such as ringworm infections and lupus, can also cause hair loss.

Most of the time, hair loss does not need treatment, except for cosmetic purposes. But you should call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:
  • Sudden or unexplained hair loss
  • Large amounts of hair loss
  • Hair loss with itching, redness or pain
  • Hair loss with other symptoms, such as heavy menstrual bleeding, fatigue or swollen lymph nodes
  • Hair loss that may be related to a medication
  • Hair loss that bothers you, or affects your ability to enjoy life and relationships

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
Can hair loss happen in kids, too?
Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MDIris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Hair loss or alopecia can happen in children. There are several causes of this condition. It is impo...
What is the rate of incidence for hair loss?
Pattern baldness is the type of hair loss that doctors most often see. It affects both men and women...
What Are the Latest Advances in Hair Transplant Procedures?