When should I call my doctor if I have hair loss?

It depends on what type of hair loss, or alopecia, you have. The most common type in men is male pattern baldness, which is related to hormones and usually runs in families. In women, the most common type is female pattern baldness; it runs in families, too, and may be related to hormone changes that happen around menopause. Other types of hair loss include alopecia areata (caused by the body's immune system) and medication-related hair loss. Some medical conditions, such as ringworm infections and lupus, can also cause hair loss.

Most of the time, hair loss does not need treatment, except for cosmetic purposes. But you should call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:
  • Sudden or unexplained hair loss
  • Large amounts of hair loss
  • Hair loss with itching, redness or pain
  • Hair loss with other symptoms, such as heavy menstrual bleeding, fatigue or swollen lymph nodes
  • Hair loss that may be related to a medication
  • Hair loss that bothers you, or affects your ability to enjoy life and relationships
Hair loss can be a sign of male-pattern baldness, a fungal infection or something more serious, such as a thyroid condition. If you have hair loss that you feel is abnormal, it's best to see your doctor about it, especially if you notice a rash or pain on your scalp. These symptoms could be due to infection and need treatment. 

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
Read More
As someone who has recently had a baby, why am I losing my hair?
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MDDr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Women may lose some of their thicker, fuller hair after having a baby due to shifts in hormones. In ...
More Answers
What is the rate of incidence for hair loss?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Pattern baldness is the type of hair loss that doctors most often see. It affects both men and women...
More Answers
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.