How can I tell if I have GERD or a stomach ulcer?

Many patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) will experience heartburn, while those with a stomach ulcer may notice a constant burning, gnawing, or aching pain in the upper left or upper central portion of the abdomen. Heartburn is most often described as a burning feeling behind the breastbone which can extend up through the chest to the throat or neck. This is caused by contents from the stomach flowing backward into the esophagus. Stomach ulcer pain may worsen after eating while an ulcer in the duodenum, the first part of the small bowel after the stomach, may improve after eating.
William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology

The main symptoms of GERD are heartburn and regurgitation, while the symptom of ulcer is upper abdominal discomfort or pain.

"GERD" stands for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease. There is a valve located where the esophagus joins with the stomach (Lower Esophageal Sphincter, or LES). Weakness of this valve allows stomach content, including acid and food to return (reflux) back into the esophagus. The main symptoms of GERD are heartburn (a burning, rising discomfort in the center of the chest under the breastbone) and regurgitation, a return of juice and food back into the esophagus and into the throat.

Ulcer discomfort and pain is located in the upper abdomen, usually in the middle above the belly button (umbilicus). This location is called the epigastric area, or epigastrium.

Some people with GERD and heartburn also have a burning distress located in the epigastrium. 

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
How can I prevent bad breath from acid reflux?
Dr. Peggy RosenDr. Peggy Rosen
To prevent bad breath from acid reflux, you need to correct the cause of acid reflux. The common cau...
How do medications treat GERD and heartburn?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Should symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) persist, over-the-counter antacids may dec...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?