Does drinking coffee irritate acid reflux?

It can for certain people. Science shows a faulty valve in the digestive tract causes acid reflux, not any one food. Doctors generally tell people who have acid reflux to avoid coffee and acidic beverages like orange juice and alcohol - but if you can tolerate coffee or these beverages without experiencing symptoms, then it's OK to drink them in moderation.

Drinking coffee can contribute to acid reflux because the caffeine in the coffee relaxes a ring-like muscle, called the lower esophageal sphincter or gastroesophageal sphincter, that exists between the lower part of the esophagus and the stomach. Normally, this sphincter helps to keep food and liquids in the stomach. When the sphincter is relaxed by the caffeine in coffee, it is easier for food to "reflux" or travel back into the esophagus along with acid from the stomach, which can cause further irritation.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
How successful is TIF surgery for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Dr. Michael B. Ujiki, MDDr. Michael B. Ujiki, MD
The TIF (Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication) procedure at two years has been shown to resolve hea...
When should I call my doctor about my GERD symptoms?
When should I call my doctor about my GERD symptoms? If you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GE...
How Can I Get My Heartburn Under Control?