What's better for assessing power, the vertical jump or the broad jump?

Both the vertical jump and standing broad jump measure explosive power. The vertical jump more closely mimics the movement that we use when exploding from a stance into a sprint or when coming off the ball for football. Therefore, it may be the better application for football specific testing. There are varying apparatus to measure output for the vertical jump ranging from digital solutions, to much less technical ways to measure. However, these less technical procedures may present some problems with accuracy. If this is the case, the standing broad jump might be a better test to implement because it is easier to mark performance per test. 

Continue Learning about Football

What should I consider before buying a football helmet?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Many factors should be considered before purchasing a helmet. All football helmets must pass NOC...
How can I improve my receiving?
The first step is to receive a check up on our vision to see if we need any prescription assista...
What stretches should I do after a football game to help recovery?
To promote optimal recovery right after practice, perform these three stretches of the muscles most ...
What's the test to truly assess speed on the football field?
The 40 yard dash has usually been the standard in this field and is the test that has accumulate...