How do I use the two-person seat carry for moving an injured or ill person?

1. This carry requires two people and can be used for any person who is conscious and not seriously injured. 
  2. Put one arm behind the person’s thighs and the other across the person’s back. 
  3. Interlock your arms with those of a second responder behind the person’s legs and across his or her back. 
  4. Lift the person in the “seat” formed by the responders’ arms. Responders should coordinate their movement so they walk together.

American Red Cross, two person, arm around rescuers neck,  lift victim, seated, move victim

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

What are the risks of responding to a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Anyone involved in the care of an ill or injured person can be at risk of acquiring an infectiou...
Why do I need a person's permission before giving emergency care?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
You need to ask a person's permission before giving emergency care because they have the right to sa...
What Is Asthma and How Is It Treated in the ER?
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?