For the purposes of first aid, what is the defined age of a child?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
For purposes of first aid or CPR, consider infants to be less than one year old and children to be between one and twelve years old. If you cannot determine age well, they are infants until they walk and they are children until they show signs of puberty. You will not be right all the time if you use the walking and puberty rules, but they can help if you do not know exact age. 
For purposes of first aid, a child is defined as being between the ages of 1 and about 12 years of age.

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

Should I tell EMS if I was in contact with body fluids while giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission, tell EMS personnel at the scene or your health care provider if y...
Why do I need a person's permission before giving emergency care?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
You need to ask a person's permission before giving emergency care because they have the right to sa...
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?
What Is Asthma and How Is It Treated in the ER?