What is the first aid treatment for an impaled object?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine

The following is the first aid treatment for an impaled object:

• Call for medical help.
  • Stabilize the impaled object to prevent any movement. Even a small amount of movement can cause serious internal damage. If required, stabilize with multiple dressings until secure.
  • To control bleeding, apply direct pressure around the wound.
  • Monitor and treat for shock if present.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....
A rescuer should always stabilize an impaled object in the position they find it. They should never remove it. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern Kentucky University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How do I know if my wound needs stitches?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
It can be difficult to judge when a wound requires stitches. One rule of thumb is that a healthcare ...
What should I do if my wound starts swelling?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound starts to swell, it can be an indicator of an underlying medical issue, an infection or a...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?